• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Plank of Wood

μεσσηγυδορποχέστης
24 Badges
Nov 16, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
A Newbie's AAR

(or)

How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Uprisings

Howdy! I'm Plank of Wood. I've been lurking around the AAR section recently, trying to find out a bit more about the Paradox strategy games. At the time of writing, I only own two games by Paradox, Mount and Blade Warband and, very recently, Victoria 2.

And I've noticed that, well, a lot of AARers are freaking awesome at this game. I, on the other hand, am not. But, I thought, like an epiphany that many a great philosipher must have achieved, why not make my own AAR? A lot of AAR commenters give out advice to players who are less skilled, or at least more uninformed in how to do supremely well at the game, so why not avoid the facadé of knowing what I'm doing and actually be free in admitting that I have only played two V2 campaigns - Sweden and Korea. The latter ended when Russia decided to be dicks and invade me and the former ended around 1880 when Swedish and Norwiegian nationalists got bored with being Scandinavia and decided to have 10 years of solid revolution.

So yeah, my goal in this AAR is to A) Make it to at least 1900 without quiting, being wiped out or being crippled economicly and militarily and B) To be entertaining.

Of course, it wouldn't be an AAR without historical commentary! So, instead of me just being all "Blah blah blah I suck blah blah" I'll also have that fun, historical textbook commentary and points of view of those in the nation.

Anyway, I'm going to be playing as Sardinia-Piermont unless everyone starts saying "There is no way you can pull that off". So yeah, I hope you enjoy and we'll get through this, I swear!

Are you by any chance still playing version 1.1? Because in 1.2, I see very few revolutions/revolts.

Sardinia-Piedmont should definitely be doable. An early war to grab Tunisia or part of Egypt should give the prestige, that, when combined with some industrialisation, will make you a Great Power (or close to it), and from there it's just a matter of sphering the other Italian minors to form Italy.

Oh, playing as Sardinia-Piedmont or Two Sicilies is quite doable, Parma on the other hand... maybe not.

I was almost certainly playing 1.2, since I bought the game less than a week ago, from steam no less.

But yes, Annexing Tunisia is my initial plan. Unless France grab it first in which case it's savescum to the rescue!

I was almost certainly playing 1.2, since I bought the game less than a week ago, from steam no less.

But yes, Annexing Tunisia is my initial plan. Unless France grab it first in which case it's savescum to the rescue!

Strange, in my current 1.2 Sweden game I have only had 2 small revolts (Norwegians both times) and it's now 1886. Maybe the fact that I decided not to form Scandinavia and instead go a recreation of the Swedish Empire of the 1600's had something to do with it.

Yeah, I love how the January 1st, 1836 declaration of war on Tunis is like a Vic2 tradition for Mediterranean nations.

Tunisia is so last season go with Madagascar instead ^^ ... Its a 2 state instead of 1 so it will cost 12 infamy instead of 8 however it has nearly double the population. Ofcourse on the down side its a very long way from home however this also gives you a potential navalbase far from home ideal if you want to go to india, asia or something exotic. I also think Madagacar got some nice RGO's with tropical wood and coal (atleast it was one of the reasons I took it in my Papal State game).

First two chapters done.

Expect Tunisians, Greeks, Egyptians and economic cuffufling.

Also, I'd like to ask now how you guys are getting 8 infamy annexations of Tunis. Because I've just ballsed myself right up because I only have a 20 infamy option. :eek:

Establish Protectorate - can be used on 1 state uncivs untill ... nationalism and imperialism? when it can be used to annex a whole unciv I think it is :p

Yes.

It's a shame you've already written those chapters up, otherwise you could have just started again and saved yourself 12 BB points.

Okay, quick note, posts in Bold are my thoughts, Italics are historical or in character notes, and regular text is description.

Oh, and Possibly Image Heavy

Chapter 1 - Growing Pains

Extract from "The Meditaranian Empire" by Steven Ferguesson
In 1836, the broken state of the Italian penensula was dominated by two nations, the French, who assured the protection of Sardinia-Piedmonte and the Papal States, and the Austrians, who's sphere of influence ran over most of central Italy.
But in the late 1830s, a new force was comming into play.

48213478.jpg

Being the curious bugger that I am, I immediatly have a poke through the POP screen. I love that detail in this game. Anyway, what I find is a lot of Farmers in mainland Piedmonte and a reasonable 20% artistans and Labourers

10087676.png

Immediatly, I get an alliance with the only Mediterranian nation who would accept one.

32360217.png

And of course, it wouldn't be an Italian AAR without...

76813731.png

Extract from "The Meditaranian Empire" by Steven Ferguesson
The Piedmontian Annexation of Tunisia was barely a war, it was little more than European troops landing on undefended farmland and declaring it to be a colony. As much as the Tunisians tried to fight back, their disorganised troops were pushed into the desert.
Such a 'colonisation' of North Africa was not uncommon in this decade, Morroco, Tripolli and Algeria all suffered the same fate from imperial colonialism.

Extract of Report from the Sardinian-Piedmontian Trade Commision
... Sassari is now of the upmost importance. Our own traders need to be supported enough to push out foreign merchants. As long as we control the gold, we have a step over the Austrian protectorates.

33837148.png

Naturally, my forces mop all resistance in Tunisia in the first month.

46060140.png

Our Capitalist also show their prioities, because plans for several booze production lines are set up.

53773708.png

My progress is mimicked by pretty much everyone else in North Africa.

51372106.png

From the Memiors of a Sardinian Officer
... If asked if it were an easy war, I would reply that it was not. Three days ago, a devient camel ambushed a patrol. A man was almost knocked over and a gun was jammed. When the camel's owner appeared we fined him for the price of the damages that were caused.
Naturally, the camel was long dead before it's owner had finished complaining.

Of course, waging war has severely jacked up my economy, to the point where the loans are about thirty times my own treasury at several points. But early game nonsense, it's fine.

67639651.png

But these problems subside after this pleasing message.

78837209.png

King,

I do not meant to cause distress, but your absolute position of power could potentially be under threat. I will assure you that our military is in the upmost position to suppress such a rebellion, however would advise your own personal guard to remain attentive.

78268044.png

In order to be a great power militaraly, I'll need to have a kickass economy. And where would a kickass economy be without glass and cement?

43549042.png

Exerpt from Letter from the Tunsian Colony back to Piedmonte
... What is wrong with these backwards locals anyway? You chase two clearly criminal men into a building and the next thing you know an angry mob is throwing rocks at the police! Nonetheless, I have told the two officers in question to be more cautious in future, and made sure all officers know not to start kicking in the doors of Mosques. Without my permission, at least.

78393588.png

And to end today's episode, the Pope approves of my choice to conquest instead of establish protectorate :rolleyes:

13391429.png

Great start! I'll be following this. :)

Hm, this way everyone wins! You get Tunisia and a strong ally in the Pope, and the Pope gets Madagascar and the Popaphant! ;) Don't worry about skill - it comes with time and a bit of luck, and it's overrated to having fun, anyhow. I've been sweating bullets my entire China game and you seem to be doing an excellent job with Sardinia-Piedmont, anyhow. Also, Plank of Wood - are you a party plank, a plank used by a kid who knows the brothers Ed(d/dy), or a strong building material? Either way, I approve of your username. It's very solid. Like teak, or mahogony.

Sardinia-Piermont?

There is no way you can pull that off! :D

Just kidding, its great to see new AAR´s beeing made,
keep writing and dont give up on anything! :)

You made a great start allready, i shall be reading along =)

Chapter 2 - Egyptian Wars and Other Animals

Extract from "The Mediterranean Empire" by Steven Ferguesson

Despite having been a Venetian, Ottoman and Egyptian province at several times, Crete has always been a mainly Greek island. Apart from a small independance movement numbering about a dozen men, the Island of Crete had almost no way to become independant from foreign oppressors.
However, luck was on Crete's side. Sardinia-Piedmonte, eager to gain control over the eastern Mediterranean, offered to fight on Greece's behalf in Egypt and liberate Crete. Greece's standing army numbered just over 3,000 men, and due to it's financial troubles it was unlikely to raise that amount; Piedmonte on the other hand had an expeditionary force in Tunis numbering 9,000 which, although not and invasion force it was certainly enough to liberate a small island from a backwards african nation.

39051405.png

Naturally, Greece is joining in on the fun, and pretty much immediatly occupies Crete without any problem.

62714272.png

Luck was on the side of the Greeks and Italians, because no less than 3 seperate wars were already ravaging the coastline of Egypt. Spain, demanding Aleppo, while never succeeding in the long run, had a force of 15,000. The Ottoman Empire, attempting to free Palestine, had troops all over Egypt. The Two Sicilies attempted to win a part of the Egyptian coast as a colony, however despite Piedmontian war subsidies encouraging them, their army was wiped out by an Egyptian counter attack and accepted white peace.
This however proved to be an oppertunity to encourage Mediterranean unity. Many troops from all attacking sides talked, shared drinks and gambled in the months leading up to the Egyptian counter attack.

Extract from the Memiors of a Piedmontian Soldier, originally from Corsica

Memory of 1st October, 1839.
We approached an Ottoman camp. After being given a clear signal to enter, we were overwelmed by the smell of cocoa and cheap Turkish booze. Despite being unable to talk in any common language we quickly blended in with the sea of foreign troops. A table of Turkish, Spanish and Sicilian men were playing a game of cards, gambling with their rations of liqour, sometimes even throwing in tabacco leaves, which were, at the front, incredibly rare.
As the night went on, a Piedmontian soldier of French descent was joking with Spaniard Officers. Almost an absurd scene, considering just two years later these two people would be fighting to the death over some strip of land somewhere.
I was later told that the Egyptians had begun their counter attack in Alexandria, and that the 1st Sicilian army was all but destroyed. The next day I marched to the front with a hangover.

40679958.png

I nearly crapped myself when I saw a 13k stack of angry Egyptians charging at me, luckily the Scilians were kind enough to reduce them to an orange suppy line before they were horribly, horribly murdered.

98864918.png

But that victory was enough to push me over the edge into peaceville. Which was lucky because a 27k stack was on it's way to flatten my army and use it make a highway.

22344841.png

And woohoo, prestige from Romanticism!

59064625.png

But what is this? Poor people starving? Seriously? If you're not getting your needs in a nation where almost all POPs have all everyday needs and half Luxury needs then you're lazy or stupid.

71040398.png

By August 1840, Sardinia-Piedmonte was considered to be one of the most prosperous nations in the world. Both the Wars of Tunisian Conquest and the War of Creten Independence had, along with industrialisation of Northern Italy, had managed to managed to make it a nation on par with Austria, which was a huge step for the Italian Independence movement. After all, if their intervention in Egypt could help unify Greece, couldn't Piedmontian intervention unite Italy?

21323248.png

To support my booming military, I constructed some factories to help rise support my army in some further colonial mucking about.

16211738.png

Also:

97804513.png

A CB on Britian! Hahano.

Great update! I loved the united Mediterranean front against Egypt!

Quick question, how does one raise the amount of possible brigades? Is it based off of your soldier population or off of your military supplies?

Why did you just hand Crete to Greece? As an ex-Venetian province surely you could keep it...

Maybe the war was primarily for the prestige? Either way, it was a very good (and quick) first war. My question would be where to from here?

Britain? :D Please? Hehehe. Anyway, if you need to raise more pops, inject some money into your military and wait a few months, then cut the budget a bit when you've got soldiers to suit your needs.